Research shows that large-scale projects have lower success rates than small-scale projects. For example, (Carroll, 2005)found that small -scale projects (i.e., less than six months) had a success rate of 50%, medium-sized projects (i.e., six to nine months) had a 40 %success rate, and none of the projects over nine months were successful. Converting large project into small by an agile process is the best way to achieve project success. For example, using the agile methodology in which software built in small, iterative steps is tested and reviewed by stakeholders that reduce the risk of rejection and increases user involvement, it also makes sure that the project is on the right track.(PMI, 2010)PMI's Government Program Management Study collected information from forty different programs across a wide variety of government agencies found that 77% of program managers at U.S. government agencies said that effective agile methods had a high impact on project success. It was further evident when a follow-up question about what the three factors of success for their program were in which one of the highest rated answers was agility. .Advantages of using agile process are can verify user requirements, reduce the risk of rejection, recover from mistakes in early stages and gain user acceptance of the system. Agility alone does not lead to project success. For example, Agility along with the right people for the project, communication, stakeholder engagement and active executive support together lead to project success, all the factors are interdependent. (Aladwani, 2002) In a study of 42, IT projects found that project success is negatively affected by project planning, which is adversely impacted by project size. (Standish, CHAOS Manifesto, 2013)Standish defines projects with less than $1 million in labor content as small projects and projects more than $10 million in labor content as large. The report shows that small project had the greater success rate of 78% than the large project that had a success rate of 38%.The Standish group states that any project can be broken down into smaller projects, but many project management professionals claim that large projects are required for organizations such as government and financial.However, these claims are more of a belief rather than facts or derived from experiences. For example, In 2005 FBI called off the Virtual Case File system after six years and $170 million. They restarted the project as Sentinel, and they were not much development for the first four years.The project was 15% completed with 400 employees and $405 million spent in the first four years.A small team of 15 engineers completed the remaining 85% within a year. The small team used the agile methodology of developing the project in short iterations.Thus, dividing a large project into small projects increase the success and reduce risk.

AGILITY